Keeping your liver healthy isn’t much different from taking care of your overall health. Staying active, maintaining a healthy weight, and managing chronic conditions are a few recommended changes. The liver plays a significant role in the metabolism of what we consume. Therefore, diet is an integral part of healthy habits everyone should practice for liver health.
Food and Liver Function
A diet that is high in fat, sugar, salt, alcohol, and processed foods can have damaging effects on your liver. If you have a chronic liver condition like non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), an unhealthy diet can overwhelm an already overworked liver. Over time, this overburdening can reduce the liver’s effectiveness in detoxifying and cleansing. Whereas eating a well-balanced diet reduces the burden and supports its natural functions and health.
Here are some great liver-friendly foods and how they help:
- Dark leafy greens– Spinach, arugula, kale, and other leafy green vegetables contain antioxidants that help cleanse the liver. They also help reduce inflammation which is part of the progressive damage liver disease can cause.
- Green tea– Green tea has high levels of antioxidants that help reduce body fat percentage and amount of fat in the blood.
- Omega 3 fatty acids– Wild Salmon, sardines, and mackerel contain omega 3 fatty acids which reduce triglycerides and help reduce LDL cholesterol. These essential fatty acids also pack an anti-inflammatory punch.
- Turmeric– This spice reduces the damage from free radicals in our liver. Turmeric also helps metabolize fats and aids bile production. Thus, acting as a natural detoxifier for our liver.
- Citrus fruits– Oranges, lemons, limes, and other citrus fruits boost the cleansing ability of the liver. In addition, the detoxifying enzymes found in citrus fruits improve the liver’s health and functionality.
- Oatmeal– Oatmeal contains beta-glucans which has been shown in studies to reduce the amount of fat in the liver.
Proactive for Your Health. Progress for the Future.
Liver disease is a growing issue in America. Lifestyle changes carry the most prominent impact towards maintaining liver health in those diagnosed with liver disease. For individuals at risk of developing liver disease, healthier lifestyles lessen the chances.
Determining the health of your liver is easy with a FREE fibroscan here at Clinical Pharmacology of Miami. Fibroscan is a safe and effective way to help detect fatty liver and scarring without the need for a biopsy. Those determined to have fatty liver may be eligible to take part in clinical studies that may help. Call us to schedule your FREE fibroscan today at (305) 817-8714, or fill out the request form online.